1. Make a packing list. The quickest way to overpack is by grabbing random things out of your closet without assessing what you truly need.
2. Use packing cubes to keep items organized. Designate each cube to specific items or outfits so they’re easily accessible and in one place.
3. When packing a backpack, make sure to keep the heaviest items closest to your back and distribute things evenly to help reduce strain while carrying.
4. Stuff extra socks or small items into your shoes if you’re running low on space, it can make a difference!
5. Consider rolling items in your packing cubes to maximize your space.
6. Pack your essentials in a soft-sided tote for an overnight or short trip. You’ll be able to stuff as much as you need into it and can fold it up while not using it.
7. Choose items by outfit or activity. That way you can see what you have, what you need, and will avoid overpacking.
8. Keep your toiletries in a pre-packed bag so you don’t forget any self-care essentials. Once you get back, restock any supplies you still need and put it aside for the next trip.
9. If you’re checking a bag, wear your heaviest or bulkiest items on the plane if possible. This will help create space and reduce the possibility of paying an overweight fee!
10. Experiment with what works for you! Packing can be stressful and you might have to try a few things, but just remember that nothing beats that final act of zipping up your suitcase knowing you have everything you need!